Frequently Asked Questions for Los Angeles Boating Accidents
By Los Angeles Boat Accident Lawyer Ehline Law
In Los Angeles there are various types of boating accidents, which can occur in a number of ways. The boating accidents that occur resulting in injuries most often are:
- Crewmembers overboard
- Boating collisions
- Capsizing of the boat
- Flammable material explosions
- Boat fires
- Gasoline fires
- Interior flooding of the boat
Q: How often are boating accidents fatal?
A: There are approximately 1,000 fatalities per year in boating accidents, according to the United States Coast Guard statistics.
Q: In Los Angeles boating accidents what are the most common causes of fatalities?
A: The most common causes of fatalities in water accidents in Los Angeles are:
- Boating collisions
- Capsizing boats
- Injuries from boat propellers
- Falling overboard
- Jet ski accidents
Q: Are There Precautions that can be taken to reduce or prevent boating accidents and injuries in Los Angeles or other California location?
A. There are safety procedures that can be taken to help in preventing boating accidents, injuries and deaths.
- Wearing a properly sized approved life jacket: This is because each year there are boats that capsize and people that fall overboard resulting in approximately 50 percent of boating deaths.
- Prior to taking the boat out on the water do a vessel safety check.
- Never operate a boat or watercraft while under the influence of alcohol, or drink while on the water.
Q. In boating accidents is there a known percentage of accidents that are caused by the boat operator?
A. According to statistic the percentage of boating accidents that occur due to the boat operator is almost 70 percent.
Q. Have there been boating accidents caused by carbon monoxide poisoning that have caused injuries or deaths?
A. Yes, there have been injuries and deaths due to carbon monoxide poisoning on boats. This is something every boater should be aware of, and there are some common causes:
- Gasoline powered engines
- Inadequate ventilation
- Close proximity to engine exhaust
- Boat air conditioning systems
Q. What does the term personal watercraft mean?
A. the personal watercraft outlined by the U.S. Coast Guard are water vessels that are inboard boats, which means crafts that use an inboard water jet pump as the means of propulsion. These crafts are ones that people sit on, stand or kneel, like the jet ski type of craft. These water crafts operators are required to follow the same laws and requirements as watercrafts that are powered by propellers.
Q. How popular are these personal watercrafts?
A. There is an estimated 1 million personal watercrafts owned in the United States.
Q. Are there frequent personal watercraft accident yearly?
A. Each year there are approximately 5,000 personal watercraft accidents with more than 2,000 injuries and about 100 deaths. In many of these deaths the families might consider bringing a wrongful death claim.
Q. If I have been injured in a boating accident a Los Angeles boating accident attorney should be contacted:
A. It is important to contact the Los Angeles Ehline Law Firm PC boating accident attorney after a waterway tragedy, to represent you and protect your legal rights. When you contact our accident injury lawyers your case will be evaluated and the options available for your injury will be explained. There are statues of limitations in boating accident injuries, which can prevent compensation, for this reason it is imperative to contact a boat accident attorney as soon as possible after a boating accident.
Q. Are there common factors that cause boating accidents in Los Angeles?
A. There are some common factors that cause boating accidents in Los Angeles and they include:
- Boat operators that have consumed alcohol
- Negligent operation of a boat
- Reckless operation of a boat
- Excessive boat speed
- Inattention by boat operator
- Inexperienced boat operator
- Boat equipment failure
- Boat engine failure
- Hazardous water conditions
- Hazardous weather conditions
- Restricted vision
Q. When is it important to report a boating accident in Los Angeles?
A. There are laws that require boaters to Los Angeles boating accidents in these circumstances:
- When there is a death involved in the boating accident
- When someone disappears that signifies a possible death
- When someone is injured and requires medical treatment
- When damage to a boat or other property is in excess of $500.
- When there is a total loss of a boat including a craft that capsized.
If you or family members have been injured in a boating accident in the waters of Los Angeles, please contact us now to protect your legal rights at 888-400-9721.