Degloving injuries can be among the most painful injuries a person can suffer. There can be many long-term consequences of such an injury and is one that you should take very seriously. Deglove injuries can happen in various types of mishaps and is something to be careful regarding.
But you need to quickly take legal steps to protect a victim injured in such a manner. For example, medical bills could be piling up. You may have been in a stupor while convalescing. So maybe the consequences are just now becoming clear.
Deglove injuries can include those that tear the skin from the bone, tendon, and muscle. More severe cases see the skin, tendons, and muscles pulled back from the bone. These types of injuries are far-reaching and very painful. Also, this can be particularly distressing because of the delicate nature of the skin, webbing of the hand, and its structure.
How Do These Accident Happen?
Also, they are not uncommon on the farm. Furthermore, motorcycle riders in accidents or kids on playground equipment are at risk. Of course, construction tools are notorious for harming blue collar workers. In fact, escalators have involved serious deglove injuries.
We at Ehline Law Firm understand what you are going through. As a child, Michael Ehline suffered a partial deglove of his finger and tendons. He has a particular understanding of how this terrible circumstance affects lives, of the need for surgery, and the potential need for a hand flap and reconstruction.
Our attorneys have helped in cases like this. Most of all, we will fight for our clients. Our track record has been a success, and we want to make your life whole again. Call us at (888) 400-9721 for more information and a free, no-pressure consultation.
Serious injuries to you or a loved one from negligence could require a lawsuit. Otherwise, good luck getting paid back for all your bills, pain and troubles.
Our law firm files these court claims to make sure that you receive the compensation that is coming to you. In any event, a snatched, trapped hand or limb pulled at low velocity could mean a deglove. In fact, this action literally rips off the protective glove of skin.
Inherently Sticky Human Hands.
Since your hand’s skin is designed with ridges and tacky surfaces, friction could prevent it from sliding away. For example, if a hand gets pulled into a conveyor belt and pulled back, the outward direction may cause a ring avulsion. As a matter of fact, this is called a brachial plexus injury. (View examples here.)
Examples of the deglove lawsuits and insurance claims we have fought in our personal injury law firm include:
- Conveyor belts: These are the most common causes of deglove injuries that we see. These machines often cause an outward force with hands or digits becoming stuck inside. Belts have a coarse surface that can easily grip the skin as it tears it. Roller machines can press the whole hand and rip the entire upper limb outwards onto the axillary region, sometimes known as the “root of the limb” or cause a more traditional degloving;
- Dog Bite Attacks: A dog bite into a hand or foot rips off the skin, causing a degloving;
- Motorcycle personal injuries: Some crashes can result in a degloved tearing of the skin off knees, shoulders, hands and feet;
- Bicycle crash incidents: A fall from a bicycle can be similar in injury to a motorcycle crash discussed above;
- Construction issues: Skill saws commonly injure workers. One wrong move can mean a degloving injury on the small scale and limb amputation or death at the high end;
- Car Accidents: The sheet metal in a car can break apart and sliver during the impact. When this happens, it can dig into the body and cause an automobile degloving. An unbelted passenger or driver can be thrown through a window, peeling back the skin;
- Amusement Park Accidents: A child’s hand could become trapped between the rails and wheels of a ride (Examples include a roller coaster ride or another ride);
- Cruise Liner Injury Accidents: Hatches, ropes, cables and other gadgets commonly found aboard cruise liners can rip the skin from the limbs. It could become compounded by failure of the passenger ships to have adequate medical facilities to deal with these catastrophic claims;
- Aviation Accident Injuries: Chunks of skin being torn from the bodies of survivors of airplane or helicopter accidents. In fact, these remain some of the worst incidents of a degloving;
- Pedestrian Crosswalk Catastrophe: A person could get dragged after a car runs him over in a crosswalk. In fact, the dragging can result in friction burns, road rash. Also, a hand run over by a tire could see a pulling of skin off of the hand.
Common damages caused by these types of injuries include excruciating pain in the past, present, and future. Not only this, but the special, or economic damages are a major consideration due to the loss of use of such an important limb as a hand. Plaintiffs may recover money for things like surgery. Usually, this is the only way to save and protect certain vital parts of the musculoskeletal unit. For example, it may involve restoration of vascularity of remnant tissue, entire hands, fingers, palms, dorsum, internal tendons, neurovascular bundles, and muscles.
Sometimes a surgical skin flap may be required to generate new tissue to the damaged area. Standard cases needing this procedure are partial deglove, and total deglove conditions. But replantation is not always possible.
So in those cases, revascularisation will be needed. Vein grafting and arterial anastomosis, and debridement of the avulsed vessels is extremely significant. But it remains vital before embarking on microanastomosis.
These types of medical procedures require special surgeries that can be very expensive. If surgery fails to correct the problem, a victim may remain unemployable. Aside from the shock and sadness, this worker will need money to replace lifetime earnings. So if negligence knocked them out of the workforce, we advocate their cause.
Ehline Law Firm fights for suffering people harmed from these tragic wounds day in and day out. We are here for you to help get you money to hire the best doctors money can buy. Also, we want you to get recompense to cover lost wages, re-training and physical therapy.
Replantation of a circumferentially degloved ring finger by venous arterializations – http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3745700/
Replantation of degloved skin of the hand – http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9583485
Lozier Corp. v. State, Second Injury Fund – http://law.justia.com/cases/nebraska/court-of-appeals/1993/a-92-222-8.html
Such a traumatic injury with the added effects of having to face the horrific nerve damage and disfigurement of a deglove injury requires the experience, knowledge and skill of competent and skilled legal counsel. As discussed, financial compensation may be due. But you would need to go after the person or people causing the chain of events. After all, this is what led to your loss of skin and muscle. Contact Ehline Law Firm for a free consultation. Let us help put your life back together. tel: (888) 400-9721.